[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 945: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Helsinki' for 'EEST/3.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 945: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Helsinki' for 'EEST/3.0/DST' instead
BREN forums • View topic - Hochkönig in springtime

Hochkönig in springtime

English language forum

Hochkönig in springtime

Postby vedrin » 07 Jun 2009, 14:58

Dear friends,

On our way back from Munich to Sofia, we (Nina and myself) decided to follow Tobias Girschick's excellent and wise advice to give a try to the beautiful Hochkönig mountain, south of Salzburg. The weather turned out to be quite nice, in spite of the forecast. We spent the eve at Arthurhaus, close to the trail head, and studied in detail Petter E. Bjørstad's excellent description of the ascent, that he made on August 12, 2005 together with his son, Pål Jørgen. BTW, there are a lot of other interesting resources at his mountains-related web page.

We began our climbing attempt early in the morning on June 5th, 2009 (4:51 AM, half an hour before sunrise). There was quite a lot of fresh snow on the section from Torsäule to Hochkönig, which made our progress somehow more difficult and slow. We expected this situation though (thanks again to Tobias) and were able to manage it with our level of equipment and current physical condition. At 13:47 we finally reached the top of the mountain (2947m reported by our GPSr, officially 2941m above sea level) and were rewarded with some nice views on the way up and down, in between the patches of fog and clouds:

http://vedina.acad.bg/v/vedrin/Hochkoenig-2009-06/

We couldn't enjoy the famous Austrian beer at Matrashaus on the very top of the mountain, because the hut is not open at this time of the year. According to Petter E. Bjørstad's account, quote "The young girl that worked in the hut told me that she arrived in mid-June and would work until mid-October. Quite an isolated place for somebody her age for such an extended period."

On the way back we met a few climbers, coming down from Torsäule's notorious south face. Apart from us, only one other person climbed the Hochkönig peak that day -- a skier, who descended through a long succession of breathtaking slopes. We safely returned back to Arthurhaus in the evening, just before sunset, quite exhausted, but also very impressed and satisfied. We decided to spend another night there, before taking the long road (~ 12 hours of motorway) back to Sofia.

A few days earlier, we visited the Großglockner High Alpine Road. We were not so lucky and missed some of the views, because of the clouds, fog, rain and snow, but most of all we missed the real hiking that followed at Hochkönig. For those of you who are still interested, here are some photos from this trip as well:

http://vedina.acad.bg/v/vedrin/Grossglockner-2009-06/

For Bulgarian speakers it might be interesting to know that the Slovenian name of Großglockner is Veliki Klek.

We dedicate this achievement to my brother's birthday.

Cheers,
Vedrin
--
Vedrin Jeliazkov
vedrin

Re: Hochkönig in springtime

Postby TobiasGirschick » 08 Jun 2009, 10:00

Dear Nina, Vedrin, All,

I'm quite happy for you that you made it to the top of the really nice Hochkönig mountain, that I only almost hiked in march (we had to cancel the skiing ascent at ~2600m because of intense fog). But we are trying to get to the top this summer through the south face route. Thank you for posting the really nice mountain page of Petter E. Bjørstad...really interesting stuff and he climed a lot of mountains. The pictures of the trip are also quite nice and the amount of snow is even more than I expected it to be.

I hope I will have the possibilty to hike the Bulgarian mountains soon (maybe in combination with an OT technical meeting).

Cheers
Tobias
TobiasGirschick

Return to English